SubjectRe: Process Migration on Linux - Impossible?
  Personally, I don't have a real need for process migration, but I'd like
to see it because of what process migration would allow. The ability of
stopping a process in it's tracks, saving it to a core like file, rebooting
the machine, then restoring back the process comes to mind. The occasional
moving to another machine would be nice as well I suppose. I'm much less
interested in the "performance" hit I'd take, as I'd only need it
occasionally.

What I would be interesting to see is the ability to snapshot the entire
system just before a reboot, then perhaps with a command line argument to
the kernel, reload that snapshot. Obviously putting all the devices back
into the right state would be problematic, but I think that it could be done.
Perhaps if the drivers had additional hooks for suspend (dump its state)
and unsuspend (reload state).

This might be especially useful for portables.

- Steve

| Steve Baker | Barely Working | # ## # # # # #
| ice@mama.indstate.edu | System Administrator | # # # # # # # #
| Red-Hat Rulz! | Will work for hardware | # # # ## # # # #
`-- SYS-ADMIN FOR HIRE, HAVE UNIX, WILL TRAVEL --' #### # # # ## # #

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.034 / U:0.088 seconds]