SubjectMemory technology devices.

I have put together a system for accessing memory devices, such as flash
cards, EMM expansion cards (remember them?), ROM directly mapped into physical
memory, etc.

Each MTD presents itself to the generic driver with a set of routines: read,
write, etc. The generic driver presents to the user a pair of character
devices for each MTD present, for read-only or normal operation. These
character devices have ioctls for managing erase operations, and for passing
information on the type of memory technology present.

So far I've done MTD drivers for physically mapped ROM/RAM and for an
M-Systems ISA Flash Disk. I'd like to get PCMCIA devices to use this system,
too, which means rewriting memory_cs.c.

On top of the MTD subsystem, it is possible to add drivers for things like FTL
(Flash Translation Layer), which I've also ported to this system from the
PCMCIA distribution, and have running.

This is all fairly new, and needs a fair amount of work, but I'd like to show
it to people now, because I realise I'm treading on a few peoples' toes here,
and would like some input before I go ahead and tidy it up.

So: Would anyone, especially those involved with the PCMCIA code that I've
either stolen or intend to replace, like to request changes to the way I'm
doing it, before I start tidying it up and trying to make it fit for release?

[unhandled content-type:application/octet-stream]David Woodhouse, CB3 9AN http://dwmw2.robinson.cam.ac.uk/
dwmw2@cam.ac.uk Tel: 0976 658355
D.W.Woodhouse@nortel.co.uk Tel: 01279 402332

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.043 / U:0.148 seconds]