SubjectRe: InfoWorld web server shootout
On Mon, 7 Jul 1997, Dave Cinege wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Jul 1997 16:39:44 -0500 (CDT), Michael Brennen wrote:
>

> >I've cut out most of the article below; the full text is online at the URL
> >listed. Infoworld did a Web server comparison, and to my surprise the
> >Apache / Linux configuration did not do well at all. Considering what it
> >was up against in the Netscape and M$ configurations, something must have
> >been seriously wrong with the Apache / Linux test rig. BTW I don't know
> >how a Linux Hardware Solutions 2000P platform is built.
>
> Knowing M$ InfoWorld it's a 486-33 with 32mb ram.

Actually it was a dual PPro 200 with 256M of RAM (unfortunately, the SMP
support in 2.0.x wasn't stable enough to allow them to complete the tests
with both processors in use).

I think a little more performance tuning could have been done, but it
wasn't exactly a crappy setup.

> Magically M$ wins again. Jeez...why is it they are so good in the mags and
> when I try their products I'm lucky to get them it install?

If you had read the article, you would see that the IBM server (RS/6000,
running AIX prolly) came out on top.

One nice note is that the price of the hardware for the Linux system is
significantly lower than for the others.

-- Elliot http://www.redhat.com/
What's nice about GUI is that you see what you manipulate.
What's bad about GUI is that you can only manipulate what you see.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.053 / U:0.300 seconds]