    SubjectRe: InfoWorld web server shootout
    On Jul 8, Erik Troan wrote
    > On Tue, 8 Jul 1997, Alan Cox wrote:
    > > Anyway I cannot duplicate their lockup. My ethernet spent the entire
    > > night jammed serving pages off apache 1.1.3 with no keepalives doing
    > > as many requests in parallel as will fit.
    > The InfoWorld machine was getting hit at 100mbits on three DE500 cards,
    > simultaneously. They wanted to use four, but they couldn't get a kernel
    > to recognize all four (though we had it working w/ four before the machine
    > left).
    > One of the big problems with this review was the SMP problems. In hindsight,
    > it was a *big* mistake for us to send them an SMP machine. That caused them
    > to have to reinstall the machine, and configure everything themselves. When
    > they did this, they lost the fourth ethernet card.
    > The people who did this review were *not* Linux hackers. I'm actually pretty
    > pleased with the review, as it did focus on the working machine. They could
    > have complained about the numerous hardware and software problems they had,
    > but they really did focus on the positives.
    > I do apologize for this grey-eye for Linux (calling it a black eye seems a
    > bit harsh); we at Red Hat should have been more agressive in working with
    > InfoWorld on this. I'd be happy to address any specific questions on the
    > machine or testing methodology, though I may not know all of the answers.
    > Please ask them in private email however, as I don't often read this list.

    Just a wild guess: Did they put a "mem=256M" kernel parameter and was
    the box used able to cache more than 64M of RAM ? It may sound foolish, but
    who knows..

    > Erik
    > | "Psychopaths kill for no reason: I kill for money." -- Grosse Pointe Blank |
    > | |
    > | Erik Troan = = |

    Philippe Strauss <>
    Urbanet SA, Vallombreuse 51, 1004 Lausanne -- 021 / 625.28.14

    Homepage & PGP key:

    Never insult an alligator until you've crossed the river.

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.021 / U:1.344 seconds]