    SubjectRe: cli/sti
    Date
    > > Is there a general effort underway to squash cli/sti pairs?
    > > I ask because I think there should be. The code should restore
    > > the flags if it is going to be re-entrant.
    > >
    > > I wonder how much other code in the kernel makes assumptions about
    > > the interrupt state.
    >
    > In adittion I'd like to see save_flags(); cli(); sequences to be
    > replaced by save_and_cli() calls. I've already done this for the
    > MIPS specific code. On MIPS this macro results in slightly shorter
    > code that keeps the pipeline happier and therefore is faster.

    I've seen some minor synchronization errors on SMP 2.1.42 under
    the real-time patch apparently caused by running interrupt
    handling code on more than one processor. I was surprised that there
    were so few problems, but it might be useful to test Intel drivers
    on SMP machines with the RT system.

    Executing __sti under the RT system causes emulation of any pending
    interrupts, thus both processors will run irq code.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.018 / U:31.304 seconds]