    Subjectcli/sti
    Date
    Is there a general effort underway to squash cli/sti pairs?
    I ask because I think there should be. The code should restore
    the flags if it is going to be re-entrant.

    Example:
    The loop driver assumes some kernel code is re-entrant, when it
    definitely isn't (cli/sti pairs get executed). The bug strikes
    mostly on a loaded system, so it was terribly hard to track this
    bug down. Changing the code to restore the flags works fine, as
    the code involved is otherwise re-entrant.

    I wonder how much other code in the kernel makes assumptions about
    the interrupt state.

    --
    Andrew E. Mileski mailto:aem@netcom.ca

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.018 / U:2.044 seconds]