SubjectRe: Kernel patch acknowledgements
Date
Dear Shyam,

> releasing several kernel patches that were implemented as part of a
> research project at the University of Kansas. These patches will be
> released under the GPL.
> Part of the funding for this project was provided by Sprint
> corporation. Obviously, they will be acknowledged in the web pages and
> supporting documentation for these patches, but should they also be
> acknowledged in the source files? Will acknowledging Sprint in the source
> files pose any type of problem in regards to the patches being
> incorporated into the mainstream kernel under the GPL?

Here's my 2 cents worth:

The Linux kernel is a work protected by copyright. Some of the kernel
is copyright Linus, and some by other people, in varying degrees of
jointness.

GPL protects intellectual copyright for the author(s), but lays out the
right to copy it to the user. There are also a number of places in the
kernel source which acknowledge the contributions of various companies. I
don't see that Sprint would be any different.

IMHO, as long as all the authors (persons and companies) are happy to
release it under the GPL, there's no problem with including it.

I think acknowledging the authors in the source is the proper thing to do.

Mitch.
The views expressed above do not necessarily represent those of....
==== ---> | The Preston Group mjd@preston.net |
=== ^ === | "World Leaders in Simulation and Scheduling Software" |
=== | === | 488 Victoria Street Ph: +61 3 9428 8899 |
---> ==== | Richmond Victoria 3121 Australia Fax: +61 3 9427 1969 |
"Once upon a time, it really meant something to be crazy. Nowadays,
everybody's crazy" - Charles Manson

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.040 / U:0.868 seconds]