    SubjectRe: process priorities
    I am currently working on QNX-style scheduling for Linux 2.0.x that allows
    much improved interactive performance under heavy CPU load. I expect to
    release this patch this weekend sometime. I don't have SMP, so I'll be
    looking forward to hearing how well (or *if*) it work with SMP.

    See:

    http://osiris.cpc.wmin.ac.uk/~drotos/qnx/microkernel/schedul.html

    -- Adam

    On Wed, 16 Jul 1997, Marc Lehmann wrote:

    > >I was thinking of nice-19 process from one user (running as "background"
    > >or real batch job using e.g. NQS) which shouldn't need to compete at all with
    > >my "idle sucking" jobs like rc5 (which would suck 50% or real usefull
    > >nice-19 work without this patch...)
    >
    > I always liked that SGI's could easily send jobs into real background..
    > their realtime priorities included neagtive numbers which meant
    > that these processes have LOWER prioritires than even SCHED_OTHER
    > jobs.
    >
    > This way you could run programs for week and be sure that at daytime
    > people could work without problems... we always had to stop our
    > processes on linux machines during the day..
    >
    > Something like that should definitely go into the kernel..
    >
    > -----==-
    > --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ / mlehmann@hildesheim.sgh-net.de
    > The choice of a GNU generation

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.020 / U:30.672 seconds]