SubjectRe: process priorities
I am currently working on QNX-style scheduling for Linux 2.0.x that allows
much improved interactive performance under heavy CPU load. I expect to
release this patch this weekend sometime. I don't have SMP, so I'll be
looking forward to hearing how well (or *if*) it work with SMP.

See:

http://osiris.cpc.wmin.ac.uk/~drotos/qnx/microkernel/schedul.html

-- Adam

On Wed, 16 Jul 1997, Marc Lehmann wrote:

> >I was thinking of nice-19 process from one user (running as "background"
> >or real batch job using e.g. NQS) which shouldn't need to compete at all with
> >my "idle sucking" jobs like rc5 (which would suck 50% or real usefull
> >nice-19 work without this patch...)
>
> I always liked that SGI's could easily send jobs into real background..
> their realtime priorities included neagtive numbers which meant
> that these processes have LOWER prioritires than even SCHED_OTHER
> jobs.
>
> This way you could run programs for week and be sure that at daytime
> people could work without problems... we always had to stop our
> processes on linux machines during the day..
>
> Something like that should definitely go into the kernel..
>
> -----==-
> --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ / mlehmann@hildesheim.sgh-net.de
> The choice of a GNU generation

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.046 / U:0.328 seconds]