SubjectRe: process priorities

>I was thinking of nice-19 process from one user (running as "background"
>or real batch job using e.g. NQS) which shouldn't need to compete at all with
>my "idle sucking" jobs like rc5 (which would suck 50% or real usefull
>nice-19 work without this patch...)

I always liked that SGI's could easily send jobs into real background..
their realtime priorities included neagtive numbers which meant
that these processes have LOWER prioritires than even SCHED_OTHER

This way you could run programs for week and be sure that at daytime
people could work without problems... we always had to stop our
processes on linux machines during the day..

Something like that should definitely go into the kernel..

The choice of a GNU generation