SubjectGetting DMA and IRQ in userspace program
Date
I suppose this is kind of a silly request, but I need access to hardware
IRQ's (at least) if not also DMA on hardware devices.

This is for video drivers on newer hardware (+ some older).... I have
yet to see specs of any card that uses DMA [but IRQ usage is common -
almost universal].

This has been fought about, debated about, and flamed about for the last
5 years. I've been working on it for two, and I'm now to the point where
I want to start incorporating hardware-level drivers.

It seems kind of a waste to incorporate these driver-ideas into a
kernel... especially 'cause there's no such thing as a standard
interface between accelerated videocards, so there's no way to make this
a black-box approach without getting REAL expensive on ram!

[it would also prolly help in issues relating to getting systems like
Win/95 and Win/NT running under DOSEMU :]
(not that they're requiring CPU (opl0? 3? whatever.) would help any....)

incidentally... I'm not that concerned with making this libc-compatible....
[that's a userspace issue :]

Ciao!
- Teunis

PS... It'd also be useful for plug-in device drivers (eg. that hated
plug-n-play 'nonstandard'....)
BTW - plugnplay printer-port support is nice :)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.034 / U:0.672 seconds]