SubjectRe: 2.0.30 lock-up with pcmcia-eth interface.
Hi Joerg,

On Wed, 28 May 1997, Dick Streefland wrote:

> smurphy@stardust.bln.sub.org (Joerg Mertin) wrote:
> | OKi. Here to my problem.
> |
> | I recently upgrade the pcmcia-package toe 2.9.1 and the kernel to
> | 2.0.30. First i thought, it was a bug in the pcmcia-package, but after
> | downgrading it to 2.9.0 again, it showed up exactly the same
> | beheaviour. Total Lock. Nothing to do, not over ethernet, serial line,
> | parallel line or the keyboard. However the kernel wasn't halted. It
> | continued working, since mostly I started a ping to a remote computer
> | and I got the error message, even if I couldn't do a thing:
> |
> | eth0 network cable problem ? (Well, very similar ;) ).
> |
> | But, the Lock came at ethernet card initalisation, since as soon as a
> | packet weent out, I got the first ping response, and then it locked.
>
> I just want to add that I got exactly the same problem on my Compaq
> 430CX laptop. The computer locks up on the first network traffic. After
> downgrading to kernel version 2.0.29 the problem disappeared. BTW: I'm
> also using pcmcia-cs-2.9.0.

try to use pcmcia-cs-2.9.5, it works fine on my laptop with kernel 2.1.41
and some minor patches. Just replace set_bit by test_and_set_bit where a
return value is asked, and change line 517 of file memory_cs.c:
517c517
< static FS_RELEASE_T memory_blk_close(struct inode *inode, struct file
*file)
---
> static void memory_blk_close(struct inode *inode, struct file *file)

:-) Fritz

Fritz Crusius, h0444vlt@rz.hu-berlin.de

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.028 / U:0.852 seconds]