SubjectRE: Modules in 2.1.30
On Fri, 28 Mar 1997, Evan Jeffrey wrote:

> As a side note, does anybody know why scsi_syms.o is copied to the modules
> directory by "make modules_install" when it is not, in fact, a module?

I think this is a Makefile limitation. I ran into this again, and made a
workaround for it, with the parport code.

Basically, the SCSI code makes "scsi_mod.o" out of lots of other object
files. The problem is that sys_syms.o needs to export symbols, and the
only way to get it compiled correctly at the moment is to add it to
MX_OBJS in the makefile. Unfortunately, this has the side-effect of
marking it as a module in its own right.

I added new "intermediate" targets, MI_OBJS and MIX_OBJS. These work a
bit like O(X)_OBJS for modules; the objects listed there are built, but
nothing else is done with them - you have to provide your own rule to link
them into whatever form you finally want them in.

phil

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:39    [W:0.024 / U:0.880 seconds]