SubjectRe: Various bugs, 2.1.66 - still there 2.1.71
On Tue, 9 Dec 1997, Pavel Machek wrote:

> Hi!
>
> > > I still see this behaviour with kernel 2.1.71. Spontaneous reboot while
> > > working in X. I was using netscape the two times it occured (once with
> > > either mentioned kernel). The load was 0 and there was no logs or
> > > messages.
> >
> > I've also seen this behaviour twice, but on a ppro 2.0.32 SMP machine and
> > using netscape4 and _Accellerated X_. The box always has higher loads than
> > 0, so other processes were running, but the reboot was spontaneous and
> > netscape might be involved.
>
> I guess that spontaneous reboots are mostly caused by kernel stack
> overflow. As it seems to be pretty widespread problem, it might be
> nice to produce patch to detect such overflows (and panic() machine so
> that messages are not lost).
>
> [With one version of kernel, all you had to do to reboot the machine
> was to press t and <TAB> twice in bash$ prompt ;-)]
>
> Pavel

Hello Pavel,

This has been done a long time ago by Ingo.. this is one of the
features of ktracer. I keep it current in my tree always, so if
anyone is having these kind of problems and wants to try it..
holler.

-Mike

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.036 / U:0.792 seconds]