SubjectRe: "while :; do mkdir;cd mkdir;done"
On Wed, 10 Dec 1997, Guest section DW wrote:

>: So why James Mastros had a filesystem panic
>: after running the offending script?
>
>How should I know? You want to cure symptoms instead of bugs?
>If it is reproducible, someone should investigate this panic,
>and fix whatever is wrong. Having long names is not wrong.

I can' t reproduce the problem on my own system. The only thing I can
tell, is that creating the recursive tree the HD _stalls_. I can' t launch
other applications if I don' t break the tree generation.

To make the tree I use:
void main(void)
{
while(1) {
mkdir("p",755);
chdir("p");
}
}

To delete it after I use:
void main(void)
{
while(1) {
rename("p/p","c");
rmdir("p");
rename("c/p","p");
rmdir("c");
}
}

The HD doesn' t stall while deleting the tree.

Even if the HD stalls (maybe this don' t happen on SCSI systems) I can' t
report other problems.

James can you try the two C programs above in your system to see if you
can reproduce the problem you reported before? Be sure to use 2.1.72 or
above kernels before try anything.

Andrea[s] Arcangeli

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:0.087 / U:1.200 seconds]