SubjectRe: How to increat [sic.] max open files?

Alessandro Suardi:
> fast. Or if they have, somebody go and steal how they do it
> !"... well, something very similar.

David Miller:
> This is a classic SMP problem. Think about the things which UNIX
> guarentees about the select() system call, now apply this to a
> multiprocessor system. Wheee...

Which guarantees?

Or rather, what does it mean that a file descriptor becomes available
for _____ (reading, ...)?

Near as I can see, you can delay recognition of ready status past a
call to select. As long as you're reasonably fair about it, it's
probably safe to only indicate one file descriptor as ready for
interaction ("random but fair").

Essentially, you're talking about propagation delays through a chaotic
kernel. Outside of real-time stuff, the proper definition of the
semantics should *not* be real-time.

--
Raul

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.044 / U:0.036 seconds]