    SubjectRe: The elves are coming
    Date
    Hi,

    > jon@gte.esi.us.es wrote:
    > > It is only the kernel that is ELF only, you can still be 100% a.out in
    > > userland if you like. Linus is changing how the kernel is loaded and this
    > > is very much dependant on the binary format, trying to keep the old
    > > a.out kernel is just asking for bugs to leak in.
    >
    > I disagree. It is my experience that making sure your code runs in
    > slightly different environments is a way of eliminating bugs (that
    > don't show up on one environment or the other). But I would agree
    > that there is no future in a.out and it should be dropped for that
    > reason.

    In most cases you're right but not in this one. There is a lot a.out
    specific code involved in the binutils which is less and less being
    maintained because most of the world is switching to other binary formats.
    As a result a.out tends to get buggier while ELF is getting better
    supported and stable.

    In fact I made the same decission as Linus independend of his decission
    for Linux/MIPS. I still think I did the right thing.

    Ralf