    SubjectRe: The elves are coming
    Kai Schulte <sp0005@aixrs1.hrz.uni-essen.de> writes:
    > Ok, I'll go get the new gcc then... What is the easiest way to set it up
    > so that it will compile a.out (and link with libc.so.4.6.27 or 4.7.whatever)
    > by default but generate ELF when asked to?

    I didn't actually try this, but it might work that way:
    - Backup anything that is going to be installed, in particular
    /usr/bin/gcc, /usr/bin/as, /usr/bin/ld
    - install gcc 2.7.2. You probably need to do stage 1 only, otherwise
    you might end up with an ELF binary.
    - Restore gcc. It will now continue to use 2.5.8 by default (if that
    is your current compiler). To generate for ELF, use gcc -V 2.7.2.
    - Install the binutitls. You might want to give a different --prefix.

    That way, you keep your original installation, while still having the
    right tools to compile the kernel - you need to change the kernel
    Makefile to actually use them, though.
    OTOH, if you are willing to accept that ELF is built *by default*, and
    a.out only when giving the '-b i486-linuxaout' option, you can use the
    standard installation of gcc and binutils.

    Hope this helps,
    Martin