    SubjectRe: rebooting
    Ian Main wrote:

    > > Here's a problem that I have had ever since linux 1.1.59, when i started
    > > two years ago. When i issue a reboot commands (ie: shutdown -rt5 now)
    > > the mahcine unmounts the filesystems, and then says Done. it halts there
    > > and never reboots. It's kind of frusterating becuasei can't reboot my
    > > mqchine remotely, if i need to... It's a run of the mill Intel 486/100
    > > with 16 meg in it... it's got a WD 540, S3 video card, SB16, and Boca 28.8
    > > modem. I think that's it... any help is greatly appreciated.. I've asked
    > > around for a long time with no luck
    > >
    > Hmm.. well, I was having a problem like this with my friends machine. It
    > was a Cyrix 586 120 though. We managed to fiddle around in the BIOS long
    > enough get it to work. I can't remember which exact setting it was, but
    > it seems to me it was a write back cache or something.. (hmmm.. I wish I
    > could remember) Anyway, we fiddled long enough, and got it to work. :)
    > Ian

    Yeah -- I've had this problem for a while, too. It started when
    I upgraded my motherboard/processor to an AMD 486-80 on a SIS chipset.

    To fix it, I've been using a patch that was posted to this list
    a while back. The patch basically switches the processor back into
    real mode and then jumps into the bootstrap code. It isn't a perfect
    reset since the reset line doesn't get pulsed, but it does the job.
    Somewhere around 2.0.4, arch/i386/kernel/process.c changed, and the
    patch no longer applies cleanly. Maybe if I get some spare time, I'll
    fix it up and repost it.

    FAQ Suggestions:
    Q: I upgraded without reading release notes, now my system's broke -
    A: What the @!#* did you expect?
    (this assumes that someone reads the faq, of course ;)

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.020 / U:34.968 seconds]