    SubjectRe: rebooting

    > xor %esp,%esp
    > inc %esp
    > push %esp
    >
    > That works on every x86 machine we've tested it on, including his with
    > the wacko keyboard controller, it's about as non-portable as it gets
    > though, so I doubt its suitable for the actual kernel, you should try it
    > in your machine, tho.
    Actually, this should work fine on any x86 machine - I guess this will cause
    the processor to enter shutdown mode (stack fault trying to run on an invalid
    stack), which on any machine I have come across causes reboot. Of course on
    a machine that was designed properly it would drop you into a rom monitor, like
    on a Sun or a Dec, but we are talking PCs here after all....

    Currently this works because we don't use a separate task for handling stack
    exceptions (by using a separate task it is possible to have a stack kept aside
    for the exception handler). This approach will fail if this changes.

    Note that this causes a cold rather than warm reboot, so we don't ususally
    want to do this, but it could be useful to attempt to do a warm boot, and if we
    are still running say 1 second later try this approach.

    Does this sound reasonable?

    David

    > --
    > | | | || ||| |Email: Jared@isysg.com|
    > | |||||||=| | | "Orion" at IRC |
    > |Jared Roberts| Redmond, WA |

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.019 / U:65.240 seconds]