SubjectRe: SCSI device numbering (was: Re: Ideas for v2.1
From: erik@kroete2.freinet.de (Erik Corry)
> Bryn Paul Arnold Jones (bpaj@gytha.demon.co.uk) wrote:
> : On Sat, 22 Jun 1996 Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl wrote:
> : [...]
> : > On the other hand, not many C compilers support long long, so a 64-bit
> : > dev_t would limit us to gcc. I don't know whether that would be a
> : > problem for anybody.
> :
> : I think we're stuck with gcc anyway so ...
>
> We're stuck with gcc for the kernel, but this would limit us to gcc for
> all applications, too. That doesn't seem very desirable. Isn't there
> already a port of lcc for Linux?

Lcc for linux is (in its present form) hardly usable. It does not
optimize, nor does it support PIC, and the ELF version of the compiler
has some nasty bugs. Besides that, it is not compatible with gcc
(different struct layout in some cases; one of them is in lcc itself).
And, of course, all the nifty gcc features like attributes, "very long"
data types and inline-assembler are missing.

Michael.
--
Michael "Tired" Riepe <riepe@ifwsn4.ifw.uni-hannover.de>
"Beware the storm that gathers here!" (The Prophet's Song)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.018 / U:0.648 seconds]