SubjectRe: more make help
On Fri, 14 Jun 1996, Ethan Emeson wrote:
> programmer (an absent symlink?)- Sorry.. But the moral of the story
> highlights the need for a frequently updated FAQ covering "recent"
> bugs/problems (I STILL see folks asking about the ps -aux floating point
> exception!). Ethan

I think this message highlights a problem that we are going to face
more and more frequently as more people upgrade to 2.0

Ethen, documentation for the make problem and the ps -aux problem
ALREADY exists. It's in the directory,
usr/src/linux/Documentation. Obviously, you and many other didn't
see/read the file named Changes, which explains all the problems people
may have when they upgrade.

So, what can be done to make it clearer for people that they need to
read this file? Ethen, what specifically would have made it clearer to
you where this information was?

Should the file be named something else? Is "Changes" too obscure?
Should it be in the top level directory?

Seriously, Ethan, what would have tipped you off to look at the file?
Did you look in the Documentation directory?

Perhaps the file "Changes" should be renamed to "READTHISFIRST"?

Any ideas people?

Mark E. Levitt
Department of Speech Communication, Syracuse University
E-mail: melevitt@syr.edu
Home Page: http://web.syr.edu/~melevitt

PGP fingerprint = B8 A3 AA A6 0F 83 9A BE F2 7A 19 F9 15 79 FE A4
Public key available from http://web.syr.edu/~melevitt/pgpkey.html

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.042 / U:0.088 seconds]