SubjectRe: more make help
Date

> I think this message highlights a problem that we are going to face
> more and more frequently as more people upgrade to 2.0
>
> Ethen, documentation for the make problem and the ps -aux problem
> ALREADY exists. It's in the directory,
> usr/src/linux/Documentation. Obviously, you and many other didn't
> see/read the file named Changes, which explains all the problems people
> may have when they upgrade.
>
> So, what can be done to make it clearer for people that they need to
> read this file? Ethen, what specifically would have made it clearer to
> you where this information was?

I don't know about Ethen but here's a few things that cause me not to read
it.

Maybe a message in 'make config' that said the new kernel could break
old programs and I should read Changes to see what those programs are.
Most distributions I get the Changes files contains a bunch of details I
usually don't care about so I don't bother to read it. I always read the
READMEs tho. That be another good place to put it is a README in the top
directory of the tar file.

Also I took a look in the Documentation directory too but when I was
looking through the list I was just looking for READMEs not 'Changes'.

> Should the file be named something else? Is "Changes" too obscure?
> Should it be in the top level directory?
>
> Seriously, Ethan, what would have tipped you off to look at the file?
> Did you look in the Documentation directory?
>
> Perhaps the file "Changes" should be renamed to "READTHISFIRST"?
>
> Any ideas people?

> Mark E. Levitt
> Department of Speech Communication, Syracuse University
> E-mail: melevitt@syr.edu
> Home Page: http://web.syr.edu/~melevitt
>
> PGP fingerprint = B8 A3 AA A6 0F 83 9A BE F2 7A 19 F9 15 79 FE A4
> Public key available from http://web.syr.edu/~melevitt/pgpkey.html

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.070 / U:0.136 seconds]