    SubjectRe: Overmounting a filesystem
    On Tue, 9 Apr 1996, William E. Roadcap wrote:

    > On 9 Apr 1996, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
    > > Currently it seems Linux does not permit overmounting a filesystem
    > > (mounting a filesystem on top of another, on the same path).
    > Just tried it, and it works:
    > /dev/hda1 on / type ext2 (rw)
    > /dev/hda2 on /home type ext2 (rw)
    > /proc on /proc type proc (rw)
    > /dev/hda3 on /home/eddie type ext2 (rw)
    That's not what he ment (i think anyway), you can mount over existing
    files, say you had /mnt, with floppy, cdrom, .... in, you can mount
    something on /mnt, but you woulden't be able to see the stuff in orignal
    directory. ie:

    # ls /mnt
    cdrom/ floppy/ ram/
    # mount /dev/fd0 /mnt -t ext2
    # ls /mnt
    file1 dir1/ ln1@
    # umount /mnt
    # ls /mnt
    cdrom/ floppy/ ram/

    you get the idea, if you had what's variously been called unionfs, ufs,
    and ifs (don't ask why, you don't want to know), you can mount multiple
    devices on one mount point, and see 'through' the top fs to fs's below.
    I don't how it would handle mounting a fs over a populated directory, but
    I think it could be made to handle this either way (ie mounting would
    either hide the underlieing files, or allow them to show through).
    PGP key pass phrase forgoten, \ Overload -- core meltdown sequence
    again :( | initiated.
    / This space is intentionally left
    | blank, apart from this text ;-)

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.020 / U:0.028 seconds]