    SubjectRe: Overmounting a filesystem
    On Tue, 9 Apr 1996, William E. Roadcap wrote:

    > On Tue, 9 Apr 1996, Bryn Paul Arnold Jones wrote:
    > Here again, just create subdirectories under /mnt for these various
    > filesystems. Asking for the kernel to handle this automatically, IMHO,
    > is just plain lazyness and bloat, again IMHO.

    That wasn't my intention, but there are times when you would want to have
    stuff show through, rather than have to copy all the files that would be
    obscured, and as Linus has said, this should be done in userland, so it's
    not going to be kernel bloat, only libc (or whereever) bloat.

    > Besides, if you setup your /etc/fstab and /mnt hierarchy ahead of time,
    > it's simply a matter of issuing something like
    > mount /mnt/cdrom
    > or
    > mount /mnt/fd0
    > etc...

    Yes, this I know, I have this setup already, they were only examples. I
    can (for instance, don't flame) see the situation where most of the
    contense of /usr would be held on a live cd-rom or nfs partition (ie I've
    a 40Mb HD, and a cd-rom/network), and only minimal lib's would actualy be
    in /usr, so as to not have to duplicate libc, and local host only libs on
    a common cd-rom/nfs server. This could ammount to a huge saving in disk
    space needed to run a room of workstations with feature x (may or may not
    be X ;), y, and z.

    PGP key pass phrase forgoten, \ Overload -- core meltdown sequence
    again :( | initiated.
    / This space is intentionally left
    | blank, apart from this text ;-)

     \ /
      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.050 / U:2.716 seconds]