SubjectRe: New sound maintainer?
On Fri, 19 Apr 1996, Michael K. Johnson wrote:

> Alan Cox writes:
> >Unless USS Lite is very different to TASD then the Linux binary build people
> >make will contain inline linux functions under the GPL and will not be
> >distributable by the USS Lite people.
>
> USS Lite is only being distributed as source, so it gets around this
> restriction.
>
> USS is only being distributed as binary. I don't know if 4front is
> considering the inline function problem or not. They may not know
> it exists...
I don't see any problems in it. USS Lite is the way how sources of
USS/Linux are made available for free. There is only about 1000 lines of
kernel code which is not included in the source distribution.

The main difference between the commecial and freeware versions will be
utilities distributed it.

The sound driver has not been distributed under GPL but BSD. The reason
is that FreeBSD folks don't accept GPL'ed code to their kernel. The new
copyright is inspired by copying policies of mklinux and Java. No single
line of it has been written yet so we are open to comments.

It's possible to retain this current copyright in the driver also in
future. It's not completely out of question to start distributing it
under GPL in future. However I just wonder if we are living in communism
where just one ideology is accepted.

Best regards,

Hannu
Hannu Savolainen (hannu@voxware.pp.fi, hannu@4front-tech.com)
http://personal.eunet.fi/pp/voxware/hannu.html (my home page)
http://www.4Front-Tech.com/uss.html (UNIX Sound System (USS))
http://personal.eunet.fi/pp/voxware (USS Lite/TASD/VoxWare)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.044 / U:0.276 seconds]