SubjectRe: New sound maintainer?
Date
> >USS Lite is a freeware version of the full UNIX Sound System. In short
> >it's exactly the same than current TASD 3.5 which is available for Linux,
> >FreeBSD and BSD/OS 2.1. The only difference between TASD and USS Lite
> >will be a minor change in copying conditions. USS Lite will be freely
> >distributable only in source code format. Distribution of precompiled
> >binaries is not allowed. The lite version can be used only in the same
> >computer (motherboard) where it was compiled. You are also allowed to
> >use yourself driver binaries which you have compiled. But you are not
> >allowed to compile the driver and give, sell, borrow or transfer it in
> >other ways to another machine where it's used by your friend, customer
> >or whoever else than you. This change in the copying conditions doesn't
> >affect the way how the driver is currently used. As far as I know just
> >one or two Linux distributions come with precompiled sound driver.
>
> This is remarkably similar to the original Linux copyright permissions.
> It is in strict conflict with the GPL. Therefore, USS Lite cannot be
> included in the Linux kernel source. If any further development is to
> happen with sound for the official Linux kernel, someone else will have
> to start from the last beta of TASD with normal, sane copyright terms,
> and develop a separate driver set, hopefully with the same API as
> USS/USS Lite.
>
> That's too bad.
>
> Are there any volunteers willing to take up the task of maintaining a
> Linux sound driver with GNU-friendly license conditions? Anyone
> want to maintain LSS--Linux Sound System?

Actually if Hannu owns both sets of code he can release it under two
copyrights. Anyone who has contributed code to Hannu that isnt Hannu's and
has contributed it as say GPL can stop USS Lite distributing it. Similarly if
there is stuff from general Linux kernel includes in there they cant
distribute that.

However: Hannu has always been doing stuff across multiple platforms, with
a freer than GPL copyright. USS Lite however cannot be part of Linux kernel
and we should keep the TASD code in if Hannu will not allow both licenses
and work from the old release.

Unless USS Lite is very different to TASD then the Linux binary build people
make will contain inline linux functions under the GPL and will not be
distributable by the USS Lite people.

Alan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:37    [W:0.052 / U:0.416 seconds]