SubjectLinux-1.2.14-Unofficial

I have re-enabled downloads of this file from
ftp.dialnet.net:/pub/linux/kernel. I was able to track down and identify
the exact patch that was ruining PPP performance on this release. That
patch has been removed, and a few new patches added. All of the previous
patches are still in place except for Pentium memcpy optimizations. That
happened to be what broke the PPP. I also added support for the NCR
53c7,8xx driver Release 16, aic7xxx driver release Apr08, and the
NCR53c406 Release 0.12 driver. I would appreciate it if some people
could download this and give it a whirl on some kind of decent usage
system. I have installed it on 4 systems now. Three of the four have
yet to get any errors, and 1 of the four returned an ext2-fs error and
kernel panic. However, on the machine that paniced, I'm not sure if it
is a Linux problem or a hardware problem. There are 3 hardware items of
which I am unsure. The first is that this machine uses an Adaptec 2940B
controller with a Quantum hard drive. The SCSI bus only has passive
terminators on it. Since the 2940B is known to be buggy and termination
sensitive, and since I only have passive termination on this bus (none of
the devices on this bus supports active termination), I somewhat suspect
this. A second thing is that the machine uses a clone NE2000 network
card, soon to be replaced with the SMC EtherPower 10/100. The clone
NE2000 could be giving problems, as some of them are known to cause
occasional kernel panics. The third thing is the CPU itself, an older
Pentium 100. I'm not sure how to tell if it is a B step Pentium or not,
so I suppose that could be a problem. Anyway, for those reason, I would
appreciate anyone else out there letting me know how there luck goes with
this HEAVILY patched Linux 1.2.13 kernel.

* Doug Ledford * Unix, Novell, Dos, Windows 3.x, *
* dledford@dialnet.net 873-DIAL * WfW, Windows 95 & NT Technician *
* Springfield, MO and surrounding * Usenet news, e-mail and shell account.*
* communities. Sign-up online at * Web page creation and hosting, other *
* 873-9000 V.34 * services available, call for info. *

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.020 / U:0.040 seconds]