SubjectPanning Hack
I made a patch of console.c that implements text mode panning for
scrollback if you have a VGA card. Rather then jump up half a page when
you hit <shift>-PageUp, it scrolls up line by line (pixel by pixel
actually) vertically in a smooth fashion.

The problem is that it completly haults the execution of other processes
on the system while it does this panning, which could take up to a couple
seconds depending on the pixel-increment value chosen. I suppose the
proper way to do this would be to toggle a variable when you hit
<shift>-PageUp/PageDown, and have the kernel pan the screen just a little
bit each time this variable is non-zero, while still executing other
processes in the background.

Where is the recommended place in the kernel to put this code?

--
Other ideas include horizontal panning when switching between VC's, and
even a little vertical panning each time there is a line feed.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.031 / U:0.248 seconds]