SubjectRe: net/socket.c and kerneld

> Hi,
>
> I've been fighting modules for a while now, and getting things to work
> nicely and automatically with kerneld and everything. Great stuff!
>
> ...except, at boot/shutdown time, I get a lot of failed requests for
> modules called net-pf-[345]. The only place I've found any reference
> to them, is in net/socket.c. As far as I can see (and I think I've
> done rather thorough grepping), that's the one and only mention on my
> whole system.
>
> The relevant block of code, namely (and I quote):
>
> #ifdef CONFIG_KERNELD
> /* Attempt to load a protocol module if the find failed. */
> if (i < 0)
> {
> char module_name[30];
> sprintf(module_name,"net-pf-%d",family);
> request_module(module_name);
> i = find_protocol_family(family);
> }
> #endif
>
> seems to have been added in 1.3.78. Is there any documentation I
> could read about socket.c? Anybody care to tell a poor
> kernel-non-hacker what this is supposed to mean, and what I can to to
> make things work without errors?
>
> Sorry if this is rather trivial...
>
> -kzm

This code asks kerneld to load a protocol module if that protocol is missing
from the kernel. net-pf-3 = AX25, net-pf-4 = IPX, net-pf-5 = AppleTalk. You
can alias these to "off" in your /etc/conf.modules to make the modprobe
messages go away. They are generated because some program during your
shutdown sequence is trying to open either AX25, IPX, or AppleTalk sockets.
Why a program would want to sdo this is beyond me though ...

Tom

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.042 / U:0.844 seconds]