SubjectIntel EtherExpress Pro (making it work)

Hello all, and thanks in advance to anyone who can help me..

At work nearly all of the machines come with Intel EtherExpress Pro PCI
ethernet cards (with an 82557 chip), and even though a few coworkers told
me that the only way to get on the network with linux would be to buy a
different card (buy?!), I managed to find a link to an EEPro driver through
the Ethernet HOWTO.. (http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/eepro100.html)

So now, after putting eepro100.c in /usr/src/linux/drivers/net, and doing
one little modification to the makefile in that directory (to compile and
link the eepro100 object), I attempted to compile EEPro support into a
2.1.6 kernel on a coworker's machine... It seemed too easy.. and sure
enough, no notice of any ethernet device comes up during bootup, and it
doesnt show up in /proc/devices... However, in /proc/pci it shows the
card, waiting for me to take advantage of it.. If I only knew how...

I did try specifying ether=0,0,eth0 AND ether=9,0xfce0,eth0 as a lilo boot
option, even though a howto says that PCI devices obtain their
interrupts and IOs automagically (I got the numbers I'm using from
/proc/pci). I tried it anyway, and still nothing happened... No notice of
eth0 during bootup at all.

I'm sure I'm missing something that I should have done, so please someone
point it out to me.. I will be very appreciative (its probably something
extra I have to do to turn on the EEPro driver during the kernel compile..
(something like that?)). I know that the instructions in the eepro100.c
source code say to compile it as a module, but since the only >=1.3.4x
kernel source code (what the driver needs) available to me was 2.1.6, and
since all I have at the moment is the basic Slackware 3.0 installation,
inserting modules into a 2.1.6 kernel (without the EEPro driver inside of
course) doesnt seem to work, returning an error code...

I would gladly upgrade my module package and everything else if I could
get on the network :)... Kind of an chicken & egg problem..

Thanks again,
-Vermont Rutherfoord
vermont@gate.net

Of course, speaking only for myself and whatever

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.040 / U:0.228 seconds]