SubjectRe: Linux on the Sega Saturn (was: linux on playstation)

At 12:25 PM -0500 12/12/96, Señor Alan wrote:

>------------------------------
>
>From: alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk (Alan Cox)
>Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 23:24:13 +0000 (GMT)
>Subject: Re: linux on the sony playstation (!)
>
>> it would be to make a dedicated PC to compete with the new WebTV
>>products. It
>> would seem to me, that this would be an intriguing alternative. Buy a disk
>
>The WebTV folks in the US at least appear to be trying to get ISP's working
>with them. Acorn also sell the piccolo which is a similar toy.
>
>The only real support headache is providing a read email via web interfarce

I've got a Sega Saturn and the "netlink" product which includes a keyboard,
mouse, and 28.8 modem.

I don't know about RAM, and so on, but "PlanetWeb"'s browser does Netscape
2.0 compatible HTML markup, and has a builtin POP reader, which, on the
Planetweb "location" box looks like a local HTML document that you fill
out, and probably has a client side executable that the <FORM ACTION=> line
is probably pointing to. (that is, when you're sending e-mail, the URL is
local://sendmail.html or something...)

It has a mail reader, and connects to POP3 servers.

If the "ultimate" goal were to port linux enough to run a stripped down X
server and X mosaic (or even a SVGA mosaic-- after all, it does connect to
a TV), with a graphical POP client, I'd say we'd have a product on our
hands.

Currently the computer gets connected with only having the IP address of
two nameservers, the telephone number to dial, and your username and
password. The software would have to be burned onto a CD, of course.

I do not know the specs as far as what kind of processor it has (it has
TWO, by the way; I don't know any specifications for how they interoperate)
or what kind of processor it is.

I can say that the NetLink browser is pretty darn fast, faster than any
28.8 link I've seen (perhaps no overhead of an OS/GUI/App. hierarchy helps
out, and instead the App is the OS & GUI?)

As far as I know, WebTV doesn't have any CD Rom or significant storage; the
Saturn and Playstation at least have a CDROM, and the Saturn at least has a
modem, keyboard, and mouse capability.

-K

Khan Klatt khan@pacificrim.net
Applications Director, (360) 650-0442 x13
Pacific Rim Network, Inc.

"Providing the BEST in Internet connectivity for the Pacific Northwest"

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:38    [W:0.052 / U:23.604 seconds]