SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] VFIO updates for v6.10-rc1
On Mon, 20 May 2024 at 16:03, Alex Williamson
<alex.williamson@redhat.com> wrote:

> Sorry. In my case I've looked through logs and I've seen bare merges in
> the past and I guess I assumed the reasoning here would be more obvious.

Yeah, the bare merges in the past is why I'm so frustrated about this
all. I don't understand why this keeps happening so much.

Who do people keep doing this thing where they just think "I don't
need to explain this thing".

Yes, git made merges easy. It was one of the design goals, since (a) I
do a lot of them and (b) it's what EVERY OTHER SCM historically
absolutely sucked at.

But just because merging used to be hard, and git made it so easy,
doesn't mean that people should then not even explain them.

I complained to Andrew this merge window about one of his pull
requests that had _seven_ pointless and totally unexplained merges.
It's like people do this operation in their sleep or something, and
don't think about how big an operation a merge is.

Linus

  Last update: 2024-05-21 01:09    [W:0.044 / U:0.172 seconds]