SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] KVM Microconference at LPC 2023
On 7/6/23 12:37, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do
> not click links or open attachments unless you can confirm the sender
> and know the content is safe.
>

> On 6/7/23 12:13, Babis Chalios wrote:
>>

>> On our side, we 've been working on providing ways to let VMs (kernel
>>  and user space) know that they have been cloned/snapshotted/restored
>> from snapshots[1].
>>
>> This is tightly coupled with PRNGs both in kernel and user space and
>>  there needs to be some collaboration with random.c to tie everything
>> together [2][3]. It sounds like it could be a good fit for this MC
>> (?).
>
> Does the VM generation ID ACPI device from Microsoft work for you?  It
> is not tied to Hyper-V.
>
> Paolo

It's a long story :P

TLDR:

For some use-cases it should be enough [1]. For PRNGs though it doesn't
seem to work as is. (1) The Linux implementation of VMGENID is racy and
(2) last year there were long discussions related to the user-space
ABI, which diverged us away from it.

BTW, just saw that you have already submitted the proposal for the MC,
sorry for being late :)

Cheers,
Babis

  Last update: 2023-06-07 14:22    [W:0.041 / U:0.076 seconds]