SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] KVM Microconference at LPC 2023
Date
On Tue, 2023-05-09 at 11:55 +0200, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> We are planning on submitting a CFP to host a KVM Microconference at
> Linux Plumbers Conference 2023. To help justify the proposal, we would
> like to gather a list of folks that would likely attend, and crowdsource
> a list of topics to include in the proposal.

Hi Paolo,

This MC sounds great! There are two topics I'd be keen to discuss, both in
the KVM + memory-management realm:

1. Guest and kernel memory persistence across kexec for live update.
Specifically focussing on the host IOMMU pgtable persistence for DMA-
passthrough devices to support kexec while guest-driven DMA is still
running. There is some discussion happening now about this [1] and
hopefully the discussion and prototyping will continue in the run up to
LPC.

2. Supporting more fine-grain memory management and access control APIs
for the virtualisation case specifically, for use-cases around live
migration, memory oversubscription, and "side-car" virtual machines. These
use cases would benefit from kernel support for things like dynamically
updating IOMMU and MMU permissions independently at fine granularity, all
without actually modifying the VMAs, to support fine-grain handling. And
linking this topic to the one above: being able to do these things when
not backed by struct pages. (There may be some overlap with "KVM guest
private memory" [2] here...)

Would definitely be keen on this MC!

JG

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/linux-mm/a4f62a8e1b0f43db005cc1117c06c00e6c0c85ff.camel@amazon.com/T/#m20c6df3d755cb79b6c426f7d9a02cec37d21e73e
[2] https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20221202061347.1070246-1-chao.p.peng@linux.intel.com/T/

  Last update: 2023-05-26 17:27    [W:0.129 / U:0.320 seconds]