SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] ksmbd server fixes
On Sun, May 21, 2023 at 2:21 PM Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:

> On Sun, May 21, 2023 at 12:03 PM Steve French <smfrench@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I would be happy to do the move (to fs/smb) of the directories and
> > update the config soon (seems reasonably low risk) - let me know if you
> > want me to send it this week or wait till 6.5-rc
>
> So I think the "do it now or wait until the 6.5 merge window" is
> entirely up to you.
>
> We've often intentionally done big renames during the "quiet time"
> after the merge window is oven, just because doing them during the
> merge window can be somewhat painful with unnecessary conflicts.
>
> I would *not* want to do it during the last week of the release, just
> in case there are small details that need to be fixed up, but doing it
> now during the rc3/rc4 kind of timeframe is not only fairly quiet, but
> also gives us time to find any surprises.
>
> So in that sense, doing it now is likely one of the better times, and
> a pure rename should not be risky from a code standpoint.
>
> At the same time, doing it during the merge window isn't *wrong*
> either. Despite the somewhat painful merge with folio changes, I
> don't think fs/cifs/ or fs/ksmbd/ normally have a lot of conflicts,
> and git does handle rename conflicts fairly well unless there's just
> lots of complexity.
>
> So it's really fine either way. The normal kind of "big changes"
> should obviously always be merge window things, but pure renames
> really are different and are often done outside of the merge window
> (the same way I intentionally did the MAINTAINERS re-ordering just
> *after* the merge window)
>
> But we don't do renames often enough to have any kind of strict rules
> about things like this.
>
> So I think "whenever is most convenient for you" is the thing to aim
> for here. This is *not* a "only during merge window" kind of thing.
>
> Linus

Here are two patches:
1) Move CIFS/SMB3 related client and server files (cifs.ko and ksmbd.ko
and helper modules) to new fs/smb subdirectory (fs/smbfs was not used
to avoid confusion with the directory of the same name removed in 2.6.27
release and we also avoid using CONFIG_SMB_FS for the same reason)

fs/cifs --> fs/smb/client
fs/ksmbd --> fs/smb/server
fs/smbfs_common --> fs/smb/common

2) With the fs/cifs directory moved to fs/smb/client, correct mentions
of this in Documentation and comments.

Follow on patch can change Documentation/filesystems/cifs -->
Documentation/filesystems/smb (since it contains both server
and client documentation)

--
Thanks,

Steve
[unhandled content-type:application/x-patch][unhandled content-type:application/x-patch]

  Last update: 2023-05-22 06:39    [W:0.082 / U:0.224 seconds]