SubjectRe: INFO: REPRODUCED: memory leak in gpio device in 6.2-rc6
From
On 22. 02. 2023. 11:53, Bartosz Golaszewski wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 21, 2023 at 4:41 PM Andy Shevchenko
> <andriy.shevchenko@intel.com> wrote:

>>> Didn't see that one coming ... :-/ "buzzing though the bush ..."

>>> Bona fide said, I hope that automatic deallocation does things in the right order.
>>> I've realised that devm_kzalloc() calls devm_kmalloc() that registers allocations on
>>> a per driver list. But I am not sure how chip->gc was allocated?
>>>
>>> Here is said it is allocated in drivers/gpio/gpio-sim.c:386 in gpio_sim_add_bank(),
>>> as a part of
>>>
>>> struct gpio_sim_chip *chip;
>>> struct gpio_chip *gc;
>>>
>>> gc = &chip->gc;
>>>
>>> and gc->parent is set to
>>>
>>> gc->parent = dev;
>>>
>>> in line 420, which appears called before gpio_sim_setup_sysfs() and the lines above.
>>>
>>> If I understood well, automatic deallocation on unloading the driver goes
>>> in the reverse order, so lifetime of chip appears to be longer than attr_groups,
>>> but I am really not that good at this ...
>>
>> So, the device is instantiated by platform_device_register_full().
>>
>> It should gone with the platform_device_unregister().
>>
>> In case of CONFIG_DEBUG_KOBJECT_RELEASE=y the ->release() can be called
>> asynchronously.
>>
>> So, there are following questions:
>> - is the put_device() is actually called?
>> - is the above mentioned option is set to Y?
>> - if it's in Y, does kmemleak take it into account?
>> - if no, do you get anything new in `dmesg` when enable it?

>>> Really, dunno. I have to repeat that my learning curve cannot adapt so quickly.
>>>
>>> I merely gave the report of KMEMLEAK, otherwise I am not a Linux kernel
>>> device expert nor would be appropriate to try the craft not earned ;-)
>>
>> --
>> With Best Regards,
>> Andy Shevchenko

> Mirsad,
>
> I think you fear that the memory allocated for sysfs attributes could
> be accessed after the driver is detached from the simulated GPIO
> device? This is not possible as sysfs handles that gracefully (by
> removing all sysfs attributes with driver_sysfs_remove()) before
> freeing devres resources. You can test that yourself by instantiating
> a gpio-sim device, opening and holding a file descriptor to one of the
> sysfs attributes, disabling the device and then trying to read from
> said fd - it will return -ENODEV.
>
> Let me know if you actually mean something else?

Hi Bartosz,

I have to repeat that I am not an expert in the Linux kernel
drivers, but have only found the leak using the DEBUG_KMEMLEAK
kernel tweak.

After (in gpio/gpio-sim.sh):

SYSFS_PATH="/sys/devices/platform/$DEVNAME/$CHIPNAME/sim_gpio0/value"
echo "4.1b Disabling gpio-sim device $DEVNAME $CHIPNAME $SYSFS_PATH"
tail -f "$SYSFS_PATH" &
sleep 3
echo 0 > /sys/kernel/config/gpio-sim/chip/live

I get "No such file or directory" when trying to read from sysfs parameters:

Failed to open /dev/none: No such file or directory

Actually, this apparently comes from the tail command unexpectedly using
inotify()
to monitor changes on the .../sim_gpio0/value, and reopening the file.

This sounds like a good idea for a gpio-sim test, as it might be impractical
to change the gpio-sim.sh source for a newbie kernel tester and they may obviously
lack your insight.

However, at my level I am content that the leak is patched at its core
source. It is human to make such omission, and may I remind you that one time
a satellite was lost due to an error traced down to a single wrong character
or digit.

Finding a bug only reminds me of my own bugs in much less complicated
situations with fewer gotchas ... I wonder if such cases could be discovered
by static analysis, but from the given loop, I simply do not see how a robot
could have guessed the intent of the test ...

Let's stay positive, a leak is fixed, and this was a great experience with
a great team.

Further hardening of the driver might be a good thing, but I suppose the way is
in what Andy proposed, but I am still doing a homework on that one.

Regards,
Mirsad

--
Mirsad Goran Todorovac
Sistem inženjer

System engineer
Faculty of Graphic Arts | Academy of Fine Arts
University of Zagreb, Republic of Croatia
The European Union

  Last update: 2023-03-27 00:33    [W:1.236 / U:0.020 seconds]