From
Hi Mathieu,

See some comments below.

Cheers,

Alex

> .\" Copyright 2015-2020 Mathieu Desnoyers <mathieu.desnoyers@efficios.com>
> .\"
> .\" %%%LICENSE_START(VERBATIM)
> .\" Permission is granted to make and distribute verbatim copies of this
> .\" manual provided the copyright notice and this permission notice are
> .\" preserved on all copies.
> .\"
> .\" Permission is granted to copy and distribute modified versions of this
> .\" manual under the conditions for verbatim copying, provided that the
> .\" entire resulting derived work is distributed under the terms of a
> .\" permission notice identical to this one.
> .\"
> .\" Since the Linux kernel and libraries are constantly changing, this
> .\" manual page may be incorrect or out-of-date.  The author(s) assume no
> .\" responsibility for errors or omissions, or for damages resulting from
> .\" the use of the information contained herein.  The author(s) may not
> .\" have taken the same level of care in the production of this manual,
> .\" which is licensed free of charge, as they might when working
> .\" professionally.
> .\"
> .\" Formatted or processed versions of this manual, if unaccompanied by
> .\" the source, must acknowledge the copyright and authors of this work.
> .\" %%%LICENSE_END

We now use SPDX-License-Identifier.

> .\"
> .TH RSEQ 2 2020-06-05 "Linux" "Linux Programmer's Manual"

We use lowercase for the function name (or to be more precise, the same case
that the function name uses.

The date is specified with a placeholder that is replaced at the time of
creation of the tarball.

The 5th argument is unspecified.

The 4th argument is now the project name and a placeholder for the version.

See an example:

$ cat man2/membarrier.2 | grep '^.TH'
.TH membarrier 2 (date) "Linux man-pages (unreleased)"

> .SH NAME
> rseq \- Restartable sequences system call

We use lowercase here, so s/Restartable/restartable/

> .SH SYNOPSIS
> .nf
> .B #include <linux/rseq.h>

Is there a glibc wrapper for this syscall? Do you expect that it will be added
relatively soon? Or is it expected that this syscall will be called through
syscall(2) for many years?

If so, it may be better to document it directly as such, like for example
membarrier:

SYNOPSIS
#include <linux/membarrier.h> /* Definition of MEMBARRIER_* constants */
#include <sys/syscall.h> /* Definition of SYS_* constants */
#include <unistd.h>

int syscall(SYS_membarrier, int cmd, unsigned int flags, int cpu_id);

Note: glibc provides no wrapper for membarrier(), necessitating the use
of syscall(2).

> .sp

s/sp/PP/

> .BI "int rseq(struct rseq * " rseq ", uint32_t " rseq_len ", int " flags ",

Is it valid to pass NULL in 'rseq'? If it is, we now document that using
_Nullable. See for example recv(2):

SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/socket.h>

ssize_t recv(int sockfd, void buf[.len], size_t len,
int flags);
ssize_t recvfrom(int sockfd, void buf[restrict .len], size_t len,
int flags,
struct sockaddr *_Nullable restrict src_addr,
socklen_t *_Nullable restrict addrlen);
ssize_t recvmsg(int sockfd, struct msghdr *msg, int flags);

> uint32_t " sig ");
> .sp

.sp is unnecessary here.

.fi is missing (it's the "closing" pair to .nf).

> .SH DESCRIPTION

Use .PP instead of blank lines.

> The
> .BR rseq ()
> ABI accelerates specific user-space operations by registering a
> per-thread data structure shared between kernel and user-space. This

Use semantic newlines. See man-pages(7):

Use semantic newlines
In the source of a manual page, new sentences should be started on new
lines, long sentences should be split into lines at clause breaks (com‐
mas, semicolons, colons, and so on), and long clauses should be split
at phrase boundaries. This convention, sometimes known as "semantic
newlines", makes it easier to see the effect of patches, which often
operate at the level of individual sentences, clauses, or phrases.

> data structure can be read from or written to by user-space to skip
> otherwise expensive system calls.
>
> A restartable sequence is a sequence of instructions guaranteed to be executed
> atomically with respect to other threads and signal handlers on the current
> CPU. If its execution does not complete atomically, the kernel changes the
> execution flow by jumping to an abort handler defined by user-space for that
> restartable sequence.
>
> Using restartable sequences requires to register a
> rseq ABI per-thread data structure (struct rseq) through the
> .BR rseq ()
> system call. Only one rseq ABI can be registered per thread, so
> user-space libraries and applications must follow a user-space ABI
> defining how to share this resource. The ABI defining how to share this
> resource between applications and libraries is defined by the C library.
> Allocation of the per-thread rseq ABI and its registration to the kernel
> is handled by glibc since version 2.35.
>
> The rseq ABI per-thread data structure contains a
> .I rseq_cs
> field which points to the currently executing critical section. For each
> thread, a single rseq critical section can run at any given point. Each
> critical section need to be implemented in assembly.
>
> The
> .BR rseq ()
> ABI accelerates user-space operations on per-cpu data by defining a
> shared data structure ABI between each user-space thread and the kernel.
>
> It allows user-space to perform update operations on per-cpu data
> without requiring heavy-weight atomic operations.
>
> The term CPU used in this documentation refers to a hardware execution
> context. For instance, each CPU number returned by
> .BR sched_getcpu ()
> is a CPU. The current CPU means to the CPU on which the registered thread is
> running.
>
> Restartable sequences are atomic with respect to preemption (making it
> atomic with respect to other threads running on the same CPU), as well
> as signal delivery (user-space execution contexts nested over the same
> thread). They either complete atomically with respect to preemption on
> the current CPU and signal delivery, or they are aborted.
>
> Restartable sequences are suited for update operations on per-cpu data.
>
> Restartable sequences can be used on data structures shared between threads
> within a process, and on data structures shared between threads across
> different processes.
>
> .PP
> Some examples of operations that can be accelerated or improved
> by this ABI:
> .IP \[bu] 2

Use 3 instead of 2. See man-pages:

Lists
There are different kinds of lists:

[...]

Bullet lists
Elements are preceded by bullet symbols (\(bu). Anything that
doesn’t fit elsewhere is usually covered by this type of list.

[...]

There should always be exactly 2 spaces between the list symbol and the
elements. This doesn’t apply to "tagged paragraphs", which use the de‐
fault indentation rules.

The rationale for that was that if you use 1 space, then the list introducer can
be confused with the list contents. Two spaces makes the difference more clear.

Also, we use \(bu instead of \[bu]. I'm not particularly worried by using it,
but I prefer being consistent at which one we use.

> Memory allocator per-cpu free-lists,
> .IP \[bu] 2
> Querying the current CPU number,
> .IP \[bu] 2
> Incrementing per-CPU counters,
> .IP \[bu] 2
> Modifying data protected by per-CPU spinlocks,
> .IP \[bu] 2
> Inserting/removing elements in per-CPU linked-lists,
> .IP \[bu] 2
> Writing/reading per-CPU ring buffers content.
> .IP \[bu] 2
> Accurately reading performance monitoring unit counters
> with respect to thread migration.
>
> .PP
> Restartable sequences must not perform system calls. Doing so may result
> in termination of the process by a segmentation fault.
>
> .PP
> The
> .I rseq
> argument is a pointer to the thread-local rseq structure to be shared
> between kernel and user-space.
>
> .PP
> The structure
> .B struct rseq
> is an extensible structure. Additional feature fields can be added in
> future kernel versions. Its layout is as follows:
> .TP
> .B Structure alignment
> This structure is aligned on either 32-byte boundary, or on the
> alignment value returned by
> .I getauxval(AT_RSEQ_ALIGN)
> if the structure size differs from 32 bytes.
> .TP
> .B Structure size
> This structure size needs to be at least 32 bytes. It can be either
> 32 bytes, or it needs to be large enough to hold the result of
> .I getauxval(AT_RSEQ_FEATURE_SIZE) .
> Its size is passed as parameter to the rseq system call.
> .PP
> .in +8n
> .EX
> struct rseq {
>     __u32 cpu_id_start;
>     __u32 cpu_id;
>     union {
>         /* Edited out for conciseness. [...] */
>     } rseq_cs;
>     __u32 flags;
>     __u32 node_id;
>     __u32 mm_cid;
> } __attribute__((aligned(32)));
> .EE
> .TP
> .B Fields
>
> .TP
> .in +4n

I guess you're looking for .RS/.RE. It would wrap all the indented stuff,
replacing .in.

> .I cpu_id_start
> Always-updated value of the CPU number on which the registered thread is
> running. Its value is guaranteed to always be a possible CPU number,
> even when rseq is not registered. Its value should always be confirmed by

rseq (and maybe other cases around too) should be formatted in italics, since
it's a variable name (.I).

> [...]
> RSEQ_CS_FLAG_NO_RESTART_ON_SIGNAL: Inhibit instruction sequence block restart
> on signal delivery for this thread. This flag is deprecated since kernel 6.1.
> .IP \[bu]
> RSEQ_CS_FLAG_NO_RESTART_ON_MIGRATE: Inhibit instruction sequence block restart
> on migration for this thread. This flag is deprecated since kernel 6.1.
>
> Initialized by user-space, used by the kernel.
> .in
> .TP
> .in +4n
> .I node_id
> Always-updated value of the current NUMA node ID.
>
> Initialized by user-space to 0.
>
> Updated by the kernel. Read by user-space with single-copy atomicity
> semantics. This field should only be read by the thread which registered
> this data structure. Aligned on 32-bit.
> .in
> .TP
> .in +4n
> .I mm_cid
> Contains the current thread's concurrency ID (allocated uniquely within
> a memory map).
>
> Updated by the kernel. Read by user-space with single-copy atomicity
> semantics. This field should only be read by the thread which registered
> this data structure. Aligned on 32-bit.
>
> This concurrency ID is within the possible cpus range, and is
> temporarily (and uniquely) assigned while threads are actively running
> within a memory map. If a memory map has fewer threads than cores, or is
> limited to run on few cores concurrently through sched affinity or
> cgroup cpusets, the concurrency IDs will be values close to 0, thus
> allowing efficient use of user-space memory for per-cpu data structures.
>
> .PP
> The layout of
> .B struct rseq_cs
> version 0 is as follows:
> .TP
> .B Structure alignment
> This structure is aligned on 32-byte boundary.
> .TP
> .B Structure size
> This structure has a fixed size of 32 bytes.
> .PP
> .in +8n
> .EX
> struct rseq_cs {
>     __u32   version;
>     __u32   flags;
>     __u64   start_ip;
>     __u64   post_commit_offset;
>     __u64   abort_ip;
> } __attribute__((aligned(32)));
> .EE
> .TP
> .B Fields
>
> .TP
> .in +4n
> .I version
> Version of this structure. Should be initialized to 0.
> .in
> .TP
> .in +4n
> .I flags
> Flags indicating the restart behavior of this structure. Can be a combination

This list should be a tagged paragraph instead. See man-pages(7):

Lists
There are different kinds of lists:

Tagged paragraphs
These are used for a list of tags and their descriptions. When
the tags are constants (either macros or numbers) they are in
bold. Use the .TP macro.

An example is this "Tagged paragraphs" subsection is itself.

[...]

> [...]

> .I abort_ip
> Instruction pointer address where to move the execution flow in case of
> abort of the sequence of consecutive assembly instructions.
> .in
>
> .PP
> The
> .I rseq_len
> argument is the size of the
> .I struct rseq
> to register.
>
> .PP
> The
> .I flags
> argument is 0 for registration, and
> .IR RSEQ_FLAG_UNREGISTER
> for unregistration.
>
> .PP
> The
> .I sig
> argument is the 32-bit signature to be expected before the abort
> handler code.
>
> .PP
> A single library per process should keep the rseq structure in a
> per-thread data structure.
> The
> .I cpu_id
> field should be initialized to -1, and the
> .I cpu_id_start
> field should be initialized to a possible CPU value (typically 0).
>
> .PP
> Each thread is responsible for registering and unregistering its rseq
> structure. No more than one rseq structure address can be registered
> per thread at a given time.
>
> .PP
> Reclaim of rseq object's memory must only be done after either an
> explicit rseq unregistration is performed or after the thread exits.
>
> .PP
> In a typical usage scenario, the thread registering the rseq
> structure will be performing loads and stores from/to that structure. It
> is however also allowed to read that structure from other threads.
> The rseq field updates performed by the kernel provide relaxed atomicity
> semantics (atomic store, without memory ordering), which guarantee that other
> threads performing relaxed atomic reads (atomic load, without memory ordering)
> of the cpu number fields will always observe a consistent value.
>
> .SH RETURN VALUE
> A return value of 0 indicates success. On error, \-1 is returned, and
> .I errno
> is set appropriately.
>
> .SH ERRORS
> .TP
> .B EINVAL
> Either
> .I flags
> contains an invalid value, or
> .I rseq
> contains an address which is not appropriately aligned, or
> .I rseq_len
> contains an incorrect size.
> .TP
> .B ENOSYS
> The
> .BR rseq ()
> system call is not implemented by this kernel.

Doesn't this result in a SEGV? It's trying to access invalid memory. We had
some discussion about this in other syscalls, and concluded that that's
undefined behavior, and a crash is valid behavior (and probably a good thing to
do), right? I'm just curious about the view from the kernel point of view.

> .TP
> .B EBUSY
> Restartable sequence is already registered for this thread.
> .TP
> .B EPERM
> The
> .I sig
> argument on unregistration does not match the signature received
> on registration.
>
> .SH VERSIONS
> The
> .BR rseq ()
> system call was added in Linux 4.18.
>
> .SH CONFORMING TO

We call that section STANDARDS now.

> .BR rseq ()
> is Linux-specific.
>
> .in
> .SH SEE ALSO
> .BR sched_getcpu (3) ,
> .BR membarrier (2) ,
> .BR getauxval (3)

Cheers,

Alex

--
<http://www.alejandro-colomar.es/>

  Last update: 2023-03-26 23:31    [W:0.156 / U:0.864 seconds]