SubjectRe: Linux 6.2-rc1
On Thursday 05 January 2023 13:33:11 Jens Axboe wrote:
> On 1/5/23 1:03?PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > So nobody is going to be motivated to do any development in this area,
> > and the best we can do is probably to just keep it limping along.
>
> Indeed...
> > There's probably other cruft in pktcdvd that could be removed without
> > removing the whole driver, but I do get the feeling that it's just
> > less pain to keep the status quo, and that there isn't really much
> > motivation for anybody to do anything else.
>
> I'm reluctant to touch it outside of changes that are driven by core
> changes, and of course the motivation to remove it was driven by not
> wanting to do that either. Any kind of re-architecting of how it works I
> would not advocate for. It supposedly works well enough that none of the
> (few) users are reporting issues with it, best to just let it remain
> like that imho.

Yea, I agree. This code is in state when it is _used_ and not developed
anymore. Nobody is really motivated to re-architecture or rewrite this
code. Such work has big probability to break something which currently
works fine. And because lot of users are on stable/LTS kernel versions,
it is possible that we would not notice breakage earlier than (lets say)
in 5 years.

  Last update: 2023-03-26 23:31    [W:0.106 / U:0.384 seconds]