SubjectRe: [regression] Bug 216753 - 6e 6 ghz bands are disabled since 5.16 on intel ax211
On Thu, Jan 5, 2023 at 12:15 AM Greenman, Gregory
<gregory.greenman@intel.com> wrote:

> I'll try to explain, the problem here is not technical. After some
> internal checks, it appears that we (wifi driver) aren't allowed to
> decide if 6E should be enabled or not. Because of the legal restrictions,
> OEM should make this decision and enable/disable 6E in the BIOS. This
> commit only gets the value from the BIOS and configures the firmware
> accordingly. So, unfortunately, legal restriction is the reason we cannot
> revert/overwrite 6E enablement...

Thank you Gregory, I've been reading between the lines, and this is
pretty much what I expected you to say. So in the past when
OEMs/systems manufacturers have been irresponsible/inept like this we
have implemented flags to force ignore the values coming out of the
bios. As it's now obvious that the problem here is a legal/regulatory
issue, I'd hope that having a force flag would be acceptable from a
that perspective. I'm no lawyer, but I expect once a user decides to
explicitly set a force flag to ignore the bios values I'd suspect the
responsibility would shift from the manufacturers and back onto the
user.

Would such a patch be theoretically acceptable? If so I'll write up a
patch to do this and submit it next week hopefully.

  Last update: 2023-03-26 23:31    [W:0.084 / U:0.036 seconds]