SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] cacheinfo/arch_topology: Updates for v6.3
Hi Sudeep,

On Fri, Jan 20, 2023 at 1:22 PM Sudeep Holla <sudeep.holla@arm.com> wrote:
> It has been tested on RISC-V which is the main users outside of arm64.

Has it?

> The ACPI the RISC-V parts are acked-by the respective maintainers. All
> the changes are in the -next for sometime and no issues reported at this
> time.
>
> Regards,
> Sudeep
>
> -->8
>
> The following changes since commit 1b929c02afd37871d5afb9d498426f83432e71c2:
>
> Linux 6.2-rc1 (2022-12-25 13:41:39 -0800)
>
> are available in the Git repository at:
>
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/sudeep.holla/linux.git tags/archtopo-cacheinfo-updates-6.3
>
> for you to fetch changes up to 198102c9103fc78d8478495971947af77edb05c1:
>
> cacheinfo: Fix shared_cpu_map to handle shared caches at different levels (2023-01-18 09:58:40 +0000)

> cacheinfo and arch_topology updates for v6.3
>
> The main change is to build the cache topology information for all
> the CPUs from the primary CPU. Currently the cacheinfo for secondary CPUs
> is created during the early boot on the respective CPU itself. Preemption
> and interrupts are disabled at this stage. On PREEMPT_RT kernels, allocating
> memory and even parsing the PPTT table for ACPI based systems triggers a:
> 'BUG: sleeping function called from invalid context'
>
> To prevent this bug, the cacheinfo is now allocated from the primary CPU
> when preemption and interrupts are enabled and before booting secondary
> CPUs. The cache levels/leaves are computed from DT/ACPI PPTT information
> only, without relying on any architecture specific mechanism if done so
> early.
>
> The other minor change included here is to handle shared caches at
> different levels when not all the CPUs on the system have the same
> cache hierarchy.

While this gets rid of the "cacheinfo: Unable to detect cache hierarchy
for CPU N" warnings printed during boot, it resurrects the printing of

Early cacheinfo failed, ret = -12

during early boot on all my RV64 platforms

See also https://lore.kernel.org/all/CAMuHMdUBZ791fxCPkKQ6HCwLE4GJB2S35QC=SQ+X8w5Q4C_70g@mail.gmail.com/
for a similar earlier version triggering the same issue.

> Pierre Gondois (6):
> arch_topology: Build cacheinfo from primary CPU

Reverting commit 5944ce092b97caed ("arch_topology: Build cacheinfo
from primary CPU") fixes the issue.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

-- Linus Torvalds

  Last update: 2023-03-26 23:54    [W:0.070 / U:1.388 seconds]