SubjectRe: Internal vs. external barriers (was: Re: Interesting LKMM litmus test)
On Wed, Jan 18, 2023 at 09:30:31PM +0100, Jonas Oberhauser wrote:
> On 1/18/2023 9:19 PM, Paul E. McKenney wrote:

> > > I think for the formalization, the definition of "critical section" is
> > > hidden inside the word "matching" here.
> > > You will still need to define what matching means for up and down.
> > > Can I understand down and up to create a large read-side critical section
> > > that is shared between multiple threads, analogously to a semaphore? With
> > > the restriction that for srcu, there are really multiple (two) such critical
> > > sections that can be open in parallel, which are indexed by the return value
> > > of down/the input of up?
> > >
> > > If so I suspect that every down matches with every up within a "critical
> > > section"?
> > > maybe you can define balancing along the co analous to the balancing along
> > > po currently used for matching rcu_lock() and rcu_unlock(). I.e.,
> > >
> > > down ------------- up
> > >    \down--------up/
> > >        \down-up/
> > >           \_/
> > > where diagonal links are co links and the straight links are "balanced
> > > match" links.
> > The SRCU read-side critical sections are fundamentally different than
> > those of RCU. [...]
> > In contrast, SRCU read-side critical sections are defined by the
> > return value of srcu_read_lock() being passed into the matching
> > srcu_read_unlock().
>
> I'm a bit confused. I previously thought that there is srcu_lock/srcu_unlock
> and srcu_down/srcu_up and that these are different things.
>
> Your explanation matches how I understood srcu_read_lock after reading the
> paper and pretending that there wasn't a single counter, while my
> understanding of srcu_read_down would be closer to the original
> implementation in the 2009 paper where there was a single counter, and thus
> srcu_read_down and srcu_read_up could open a multi-thread critical section.
>
> Is there only one thing and read_down *is* read_lock?
> If they are not the same, is my understand of read_down correct?
>
> And isn't it also true that the srcu_lock() needs to be on the same CPU as
> the matching srcu_unlock()?
>
> I think for matching srcu_lock to srcu_unlock, you can just use the data
> dependency (following the "hack" of defining them as reads and writes).

The only difference between srcu_read_lock() and srcu_read_unlock()
on the one hand and srcu_down_read() and srcu_up_read() on the other
is that a matching pair of srcu_read_lock() and srcu_read_unlock()
must be running on the same task. In contrast, srcu_down_read() and
srcu_up_read() are not subject to this constraint.

> What I was suggesting below is how to redefine "match" between read_down and
> read_up that work more like a cross-thread semaphore.

Understood, but what I don't understand is why not simply this:

let srcu-rscs-down = ([Srcu-down] ; (data | rf)* ; [Srcu-up]) & loc

> > > Then everything that is enclosed within a pair of "balanced match" is
> > > linked:
> > >
> > > match-down-up = co^-1?; balanced-srcu-updown ; co^-1?
> > >
> > > Since multiple critical sections can be in-flight, maybe you can use co &
> > > same-value (or whatever the relation is) to define this?
> > >

> > > let balanced-srcu-updown = let rec
> > >         unmatched-locks = Srcu-down \ domain(matched)
> > >     and unmatched-unlocks = Srcu-up \ range(matched)
> > >     and unmatched = unmatched-locks | unmatched-unlocks
> > >     and unmatched-co = [unmatched] ; co & same-value ; [unmatched]
> > >     and unmatched-locks-to-unlocks =
> > >         [unmatched-locks] ;  co & same-value ; [unmatched-unlocks]
> > >     and matched = matched | (unmatched-locks-to-unlocks \
> > >         (unmatched-co ; unmatched-co))
> > >     in matched
> > > let match-down-up = (co & same-value)^-1?; balanced-srcu-updown ; (co &
> > > same-value)^-1?
>

> > > Is the implementation of srcu-lock and srcu-unlock still anything like the
> > > implementation in the 2009 paper?
>
> > The interaction between readers and grace period is now mediated by a
> > per-CPU pair of lock counters and of unlock counters, so the 2009 paper is
> > not the best guide. But yes, you would likely need three or four pairwise
> > overlapping critical sections for the current SRCU implementation to end
> > "early".
>
> That makes sense.
>
> Have fun, jonas

And you! ;-)

Thanx, Paul

  Last update: 2023-03-26 23:46    [W:0.175 / U:0.420 seconds]