SubjectRe: regression caused by block: freeze the queue earlier in del_gendisk
From
On 9/20/22 3:11 AM, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> Hi, this is your Linux kernel regression tracker.
>
> On 13.09.22 04:36, Dusty Mabe wrote:

>>> I can't reproduce the hang too.
>>
>> I obviously can reproduce the issue with the test in our Fedora CoreOS
>> test suite. It's part of a framework (i.e. it's not simple some script
>> you can run) but it is very reproducible so one can add some instrumentation
>> to the kernel and feed it through a build/test cycle to see different
>> results or logs.
>>
>> I'm willing to share this with other people (maybe a screen share or
>> some written down instructions) if anyone would be interested.
>
> This thread looked stalled, or was there any progress in the past week?
> If not: Fedora apparently removed the patch in their kernels a while
> ago, as quite a few users where hitting it. What is preventing us from
> doing the same in mainline and 5.19.y until the issue can be resolved?
> The description of a09b314005f3 ("block: freeze the queue earlier in
> del_gendisk") doesn't sound like the change does something crucial that
> can't wait a bit. I might be totally wrong with that, but I think it's
> my duty to ask that question at this point.

Christoph and I discussed this one last week, and he has a plan to try
a flag approach. Christoph, did you get a chance to bang that out? Would
be nice to get this one wrapped up.

--
Jens Axboe

  Last update: 2022-09-20 16:06    [W:0.379 / U:0.200 seconds]