    SubjectNew subsystem for acceleration devices
    Hi,
    Greg and I talked a couple of months ago about preparing a new accel
    subsystem for compute/acceleration devices that are not GPUs and I
    think your drivers that you are now trying to upstream fit it as well.

    Would you be open/interested in migrating your drivers to this new subsystem ?

    Because there were no outstanding candidates, I have done so far only
    a basic and partial implementation of the infrastructure for this
    subsystem, but if you are willing to join I believe I can finish it
    rather quickly.

    At start, the new subsystem will provide only a common device
    character (e.g. /dev/acX) so everyone will do open/close/ioctl on the
    same device character. Also sysfs/debugfs entries will be under that
    device and maybe an IOCTL to retrieve information.

    In the future I plan to move some of habanalabs driver's code into the
    subsystem itself, for common tasks such as memory management, dma
    memory allocation, etc.

    Of course, you will be able to add your own IOCTLs as you see fit.
    There will be a range of IOCTLs which are device-specific (similar to
    drm).

    wdyt ?

    Thanks,
    Oded

      Last update: 2022-07-31 13:47    [W:5.238 / U:0.076 seconds]