SubjectRe: [RFC 03/20] vfio: Add vfio_[un]register_device()
On Wed, Sep 29, 2021 at 09:08:25AM +0200, Cornelia Huck wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 29 2021, "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@intel.com> wrote:

Even so the kernel should not be creating this, that is a job for
udev and some symlinks

> Sequentially-numbered devices tend to become really unwieldy in my
> experience if you are working on a system with loads of devices.

If the user experiance is always to refer to the sysfs node as Kevin
shows above then the user never sees the integer.

It is very much like how the group number works already, programs
always start at the sysfs, do the readlink thing on iommu_group and
then get the group number to go to /dev/vfio/X

So it is already the case that every piece of software can construct a
sysfs path to the device, we are just changing from
readlink(iommu_group) to readdir(vfio/vfio_device_XX)

Jason

  Last update: 2021-09-29 14:16    [W:0.405 / U:0.392 seconds]