SubjectRe: [RFC] Perfomance varies according to sysctl_sched_migration_cost
On 2021/9/14 19:30, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 14, 2021 at 03:27:09PM +0800, Yicong Yang wrote:
>> 2. The ABI now has been removed from sysctl and moved to debugfs. As tuning this can improve the performance
>> of some workloads on some platforms, maybe it's better to make it a formal sysctl again with docs?
>
> It never was an ABI, there is nothing to restore. It has always been
> CONFIG_SCHED_DEBUG.

It's right that CONIG_SCHED_DEBUG is on for most releases and it's same to tune
it through debugfs. So I'm not with a strong heart to restore it but just curious
about this magic value since it does have some influence when tuning this on my platform.

> I'm open to topology based improvements to the code, but I don't think
> user tunables are a good way.

sure, it's better to make the scheduler topology adapted rather than manually tuned, but
certainly it's not that easy to achieve. Maybe I can investigate the whole story
first, seems we didn't use a constant migration_cost_ns at very beginning, to see if there's
any inspiration.

Thanks.

> .

  Last update: 2021-09-14 14:37    [W:0.194 / U:0.068 seconds]