SubjectRe: [RFC] KVM: mm: fd-based approach for supporting KVM guest private memory
On 27.08.21 04:31, Yu Zhang wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 26, 2021 at 12:15:48PM +0200, David Hildenbrand wrote:
>> On 24.08.21 02:52, Sean Christopherson wrote:
>>> The goal of this RFC is to try and align KVM, mm, and anyone else with skin in the
>>> game, on an acceptable direction for supporting guest private memory, e.g. for
>>> Intel's TDX. The TDX architectural effectively allows KVM guests to crash the
>>> host if guest private memory is accessible to host userspace, and thus does not
>>> play nice with KVM's existing approach of pulling the pfn and mapping level from
>>> the host page tables.
>>>
>>> This is by no means a complete patch; it's a rough sketch of the KVM changes that
>>> would be needed. The kernel side of things is completely omitted from the patch;
>>> the design concept is below.
>>>
>>> There's also fair bit of hand waving on implementation details that shouldn't
>>> fundamentally change the overall ABI, e.g. how the backing store will ensure
>>> there are no mappings when "converting" to guest private.
>>>

>> This is a lot of complexity and rather advanced approaches (not saying they
>> are bad, just that we try to teach the whole stack something completely
>> new).
>>

>> What I think would really help is a list of requirements, such that
>> everybody is aware of what we actually want to achieve. Let me start:
>>
>> GFN: Guest Frame Number
>> EPFN: Encrypted Physical Frame Number
>>

>> 1) An EPFN must not get mapped into more than one VM: it belongs exactly to
>> one VM. It must neither be shared between VMs between processes nor between
>> VMs within a processes.
>>

>> 2) User space (well, and actually the kernel) must never access an EPFN:
>>
>> - If we go for an fd, essentially all operations (read/write) have to
>> fail.
>> - If we have to map an EPFN into user space page tables (e.g., to
>> simplify KVM), we could only allow fake swap entries such that "there
>> is something" but it cannot be accessed and is flagged accordingly.
>> - /proc/kcore and friends have to be careful as well and should not read
>> this memory. So there has to be a way to flag these pages.
>>
>> 3) We need a way to express the GFN<->EPFN mapping and essentially assign an
>> EPFN to a GFN.
>>

>> 4) Once we assigned a EPFN to a GFN, that assignment must not longer change.
>> Further, an EPFN must not get assigned to multiple GFNs.
>>

>> 5) There has to be a way to "replace" encrypted parts by "shared" parts
>> and the other way around.
>>
>> What else?
>
> Thanks a lot for this summary. A question about the requirement: do we or
> do we not have plan to support assigned device to the protected VM?

Good question, I assume that is stuff for the far far future.

> If yes. The fd based solution may need change the VFIO interface as well(
> though the fake swap entry solution need mess with VFIO too). Because:
>
> 1> KVM uses VFIO when assigning devices into a VM.
>
> 2> Not knowing which GPA ranges may be used by the VM as DMA buffer, all
> guest pages will have to be mapped in host IOMMU page table to host pages,
> which are pinned during the whole life cycle fo the VM.
>
> 3> IOMMU mapping is done during VM creation time by VFIO and IOMMU driver,
> in vfio_dma_do_map().
>
> 4> However, vfio_dma_do_map() needs the HVA to perform a GUP to get the HPA
> and pin the page.
>
> But if we are using fd based solution, not every GPA can have a HVA, thus
> the current VFIO interface to map and pin the GPA(IOVA) wont work. And I
> doubt if VFIO can be modified to support this easily.

I fully agree. Maybe Intel folks have some idea how that's supposed to
look like in the future.

--
Thanks,

David / dhildenb

  Last update: 2021-08-31 21:09    [W:0.204 / U:0.020 seconds]