SubjectRe: [RFC 0/5] Support non-coherent DMA on RISC-V using a global pool
On Tue, Aug 17, 2021 at 11:28 AM Atish Patra <atishp@atishpatra.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 16, 2021 at 6:37 PM Guo Ren <guoren@kernel.org> wrote:
> >
> > 1

> > > Hi Palmer,
> > > This series doesn't implement the PBMT extension which is still in discussion.
> > > It simply reuse the existing non-coherent dma mapping support in
> > > upstream kernel and enable
> > > it for RISC-V. The current version uses a non-coherent global pool. I
> > > will update it to use arch_set_uncached
> > > as per Christoph's suggestion. It solves the non-coherent DMA problem
> > > for beagleV and not c906.
> > >
> > > I briefly mentioned the PBMT extension just to provide an idea how the
> > > RISC-V Linux kernel
> > > can support both unached window and PBMT extension. PBMT extension is
> > > planned to be frozen
> > > by the end of this year and none of the hardware has implemented it.
> > >
> > > The implementation in c906 is a non-standard one and will not be
> > > supported by the default PBMT
> > > extension implementation.
> > The default PBMT & c908 PBMT are similar, only BIT definitions are
> > different. I propose to support default PBMT first and give the back
> > door to modify the PBMT definition during boot.
> > The "protection_map[] = (__P000, __P001 ..__S000, __S001)" in
> > mm/mmap.c has been modified by arch/mips, arm, sparc, x86, so I think
> > it's proper solution direction.
> >
> > The reset problem is how to passing custom PBMT at the very early boot
> > stage. Now I'm trying to use the DTS parsing instead of boot param hdr
> > which Anup objected to.
> >

> IIRC, c906 has a compatible mode that has the compliant PTE bit modifications.
> Can you use that mode iOn the Allwinner D1 board to boot Linux ? I am
> not sure if you have any fallback method for non-coherent DMA
> if custom DMA_COHERENT bits are not enabled through enhanced mode ?
We need custom PBMT(enhanced mode) to enable the dma driver on D1
(GMAC, USB, EMMC) or these drivers couldn't work.
D1 hasn't any uncached region in SOC design.

--
Best Regards
Guo Ren

ML: https://lore.kernel.org/linux-csky/

  Last update: 2021-08-17 08:43    [W:0.114 / U:0.008 seconds]