SubjectRe: About clk maintainership [Was: Re: [PULL] Add variants of devm_clk_get for prepared and enabled clocks enabled clocks]
On Sat, Jul 31, 2021 at 10:41 AM Stephen Boyd <sboyd@kernel.org> wrote:
> Quoting Russell King (Oracle) (2021-07-28 13:40:34)
> > > I adapted the Subject in the hope to catch Stephen's and Michael's
> > > attention. My impression is that this thread isn't on their radar yet,
> > > but the topic here seems important enough to get a matching Subject.

> I still wonder if it would be better if we had some sort of DT binding
> that said "turn this clk on when the driver probes this device and keep
> it on until the driver is unbound".

DT is not the only way the clocks are established in the kernel.

> That would probably work well for
> quite a few drivers that don't want to ever call clk_get() or
> clk_prepare_enable() and could tie into the assigned-clock-rates
> property in a way that let us keep the platform details out of the
> drivers.

> We could also go one step further and make a clk pm domain when
> this new property is present and then have the clk be enabled based on
> runtime PM of the device (and if runtime PM is disabled then just enable
> it at driver probe time).

This sounds like a good idea from a usage perspective.

--
With Best Regards,
Andy Shevchenko

  Last update: 2021-07-31 10:09    [W:0.085 / U:0.348 seconds]