SubjectRe: [RFC] /dev/ioasid uAPI proposal
On 04.06.21 14:30, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

Hi,

> Containers already needed to do this today. Container orchestration is
> hard.

Yes, but I hate to see even more work upcoming here.

> Yes, /dev/ioasid shouldn't do anything unless you have a device to
> connect it with. In this way it is probably safe to stuff it into
> every container.

Okay, if we can guarantee that, I'm completely fine.

>>> Having FDs spawn other FDs is pretty ugly, it defeats the "everything
>>> is a file" model of UNIX.
>>
>> Unfortunately, this is already defeated in many other places :(
>> (I'd even claim that ioctls already break it :p)
>
> I think you are reaching a bit :)
>
>> It seems your approach also breaks this, since we now need to open two
>> files in order to talk to one device.
>
> It is two devices, thus two files.

Two separate real (hardware) devices or just two logical device nodes ?

--mtx

--
---
Hinweis: unverschlüsselte E-Mails können leicht abgehört und manipuliert

  Last update: 2021-06-08 12:45    [W:0.257 / U:0.432 seconds]