SubjectRe: [RFC] /dev/ioasid uAPI proposal
On Tue, Jun 01, 2021 at 02:56:43PM -0300, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 01, 2021 at 08:38:00AM +0000, Tian, Kevin wrote:

I don't think presence or absence of a group fd makes a lot of
difference to this design. Having a group fd just means we attach
groups to the ioasid instead of individual devices, and we no longer
need the bookkeeping of "partial" devices.

> > From this comment are you suggesting that VFIO can still keep
> > container/ group concepts and user just deprecates the use of vfio
> > iommu uAPI (e.g. VFIO_SET_IOMMU) by using /dev/ioasid (which has a
> > simple policy that an IOASID will reject cmd if partially-attached
> > group exists)?
>
> I would say no on the container. /dev/ioasid == the container, having
> two competing objects at once in a single process is just a mess.

Right. I'd assume that for compatibility, creating a container would
create a single IOASID under the hood with a compatiblity layer
translating the container operations to iosaid operations.

> If the group fd can be kept requires charting a path through the
> ioctls where the container is not used and /dev/ioasid is sub'd in
> using the same device FD specific IOCTLs you show here.

Again, I don't think it makes much difference. The model doesn't
really change even if you allow both ATTACH_GROUP and ATTACH_DEVICE on
the IOASID. Basically ATTACH_GROUP would just be equivalent to
attaching all the constituent devices.

--
David Gibson | I'll have my music baroque, and my code
david AT gibson.dropbear.id.au | minimalist, thank you. NOT _the_ _other_
| _way_ _around_!
http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson

  Last update: 2021-06-02 09:30    [W:1.174 / U:2.024 seconds]